F1- Student Visa USA

F1 Student Visa USA

The United States is the most sought-after destination for higher education. Apart from the various formalities of universities, the most important thing you need is your student visa.

As a student, your course might expect you to fulfill certain requirements that are possible with your student visa. You cannot travel to the US for the purpose of education through the Visa Waiver Program or the Visitor’s (B) visa.

Before applying for a us student visa, it is necessary that you have been approved and accepted by the school or university where you wish to pursue your studies. This makes your application process easier because the educational institution shall provide most of the necessary documentation for your student visa application.

What Does F-1 Visa Restrict You From?

While the F-1 visa is a one-stop solution for foreign students seeking admission to highly prestigious US universities and schools, the visa comes with its own obligations. The stay of a student attending a public secondary school (9th grade to 12 grade) is limited to a maximum of 12 months. The school must Lao acknowledge on the applicant’s form I-20 that they have paid the entire cost their education without any subsidies.

How to Apply For F-1 Visa?

The application process is similar to other non-immigrant visa application process’ 


F-1 Visa

The F-1 visa is the most common type of non-immigrant student visa required to continue academic career in the United States at a reputable school, university, private secondary school, or an English language program. If your course of study is more than 18 hours a week, you need an F-1 visa.

However, if the purpose of the visit is non-academic or vocational study or practice, you might need to apply for a M-1 visa. The application process is similar to the F-1 visa and the only difference is that students under the M-1 visa are not allowed to enroll for any University program and are expected to return after one year of stay in the US.

However, the F-1 visa can’t be given to foreign students seeking to attend public rudimentary school (kindergarten to 8th grade) or a publicly financed adult training program. Moreover, if you are traveling for a short period of time, for recreational study that is not counted for credit towards any academic program or degree, you can use the visitor (B) visa.


What Is Required To Apply For The F-1 Visa?

The application process for the F-1 student visa not only requires your personal information and documents but also requires your prospective college or school to submit proof of your proposed education program. It is advisable to apply to Student and Exchange Visitor Program-approved schools in the United States.

The Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application Form, commonly known as the DS-160 form is available online at the State Department’s website.

As per the rules for non-immigrants, you need to possess a passport that is accepted to be valid for travel to the US and has a validity of 6 months beyond the last day of your stay.

You need a 2 x 2 inches (51×51 mm) photograph 51 x 51 mm, taken within the last six months.

Your educational institution needs to sign and approve form I-20 to show their consent for your participation in their program.

Depending on your native country, the fee for your student visa can be found on the Department of State’s website.


What After You Get The F-1 Visa?

After obtaining your F-1 visa, you are eligible to complete your course and then go for practical training. This training is called Optional Practical Training (OPT) and is not included in your academic program. You apply for an OPT by presenting Form I-20.

You need to commence your studies within 5 on this of successfully receiving your F-1 visa/otherwise your visa will lose its status.

If you have a dependent (spouse/children) who intend to reside with you during your study, they will need to apply for non-immigrant F-2 or M-2 visas. For them, the educational institution will issue an individual Form I-20 for their visa application but there will be no extra fee.