Intracompany Transfer Visa UK

Intracompany Transfer Visa


If you work in a company or organization which has an established presence in multiple locations, you can apply for a Tier 2 Transfer Work Visa if you have been offered a role in the UK branch of your current employer company or organization. This visa can be valid for between 6 months and 9 years, depending on the position offered.

The Intracompany Transfer Visa is also applicable if you are either from Switzerland or from a country that is not a part of the European Economic Area (EEA). In special cases, this visa can also be granted to you if you meet particular requirements of:

  • current salary drawn
  • have experience with the same employer outside the UK
  • ability to furnish travel history of 5 years
  • the stipulated amount of savings to show you can live in the UK


It is possible to make an application to live in the UK only if you can furnish evidence of current employment in the country. Your employer provides reference checks and endorsements that support your fit for the role you currently hold, which qualifies you for the visa. The employment certificate it issues is essential to the visa process as it also certifies your current pay package.


Applications for an Intra-company Transfer visa can be under 2 categories:


  • Long-term Staff – You can qualify for this visa if you have worked with your current employer for more than 12 months or if the role that is now being offered comes with a pay package of £73,900 or more a year. You can apply for this visa if the transfer is into a role that previous experience working for the company.
  • Apprentice with a Graduate degree – Any training opportunity for graduates with at least a 3-month work experience record warrants the Intra-company Transfer Visa. These roles could be specialist roles within the organization for which they need to be based in the UK.


You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the date of your travel to start the employment in the UK. The date you can start is listed on your certificate of sponsorship or the offer letter given by your potential employer in the UK.
Once the visa application is submitted, you can expect a decision to be made within a 3-week timeframe if the application is made from a country outside the UK. A processing times guide gives an indication of how long your visa process may take in your own country.

Express Timelines

A priority service on visa application timelines can be availed for an additional £500 when applying to extend or change visas while in the UK to get a decision within 5 working days.
Additionally, an extra £800 payment can be made for the super priority service to get a decision

  • by the end of the next working day after providing your biometric information if your appointment is on a weekday
  • 2 working days after providing your biometric information if your appointment is at the weekend

Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays are working days.

Intra-Company Transfer Visa Fee Structure

The fee structure for a Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa depends on the type of visa you are applying for and where you are making the application from:

Apprentice with a Graduate degree


The Applicant




If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia


All dependants

£482 each person

Long-term Staff (up to 3 years)

The Applicant

If Applying From Outside the UK

If Applying in The UK to Extend or Change Visas




If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia



All dependents

£610 each person

£704 each person

Long-term Staff (more than 3 years)

Who You’re Applying For

If Applying From Outside The UK

If Applying In The UK to Extend or Change Visas




If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia



All dependents

£1,220 each person

£1,408 each person

An application to extend a visa or change to another visa while in the UK can be made for a fee of £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.


Additional Medical Fees

There is a mandatory Medical fee that must be paid as a part of the UK visa application. The fees vary depending on if you are applying alone, coming into the country with dependents or coming in to join an existing applicant in the UK.

Length of Stay in the UK

The timeframe that a Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa permits you to stay in the country depends on the category under which you have made an application as in the following or the time given on your employment offer letter, whichever is shorter.

  • Long-term Staff (if you earn more than £120,000 a year): 9 years
  • Long-term Staff (if you earn less than £120,000 a year): 5 years, 1 month
  • Apprentice with a graduate degree: 12 months

Entry into the country is allowed up to 2 weeks prior to the start of your employment, as is mentioned in your employment offer letter. For example, if your Employment offer letter states your joining date as 1 October, the earliest you can start living in the country is 15 September. Any application for an extension of your stay in the UK must align to the maximum time allowed for your visa type.

Additional Regulations

When you apply for a Tier 2 Intra- Company Transfer Visa to the UK, you have permission to do the following:

  • work for the employment specified in the employment offer letter
  • work in an additional second job in the same profession and at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week
  • do voluntary work
  • pursue educational opportunities which will not conflict with your employment
  • visit other countries and return to the UK
  • bring family memberswho also have existing visas, with you

This visa does not allow you to do the following:

  • access public funds of any kind
  • start working before you get a visa

Financial Savings and Employment Remuneration

You can enter the country on an Intracompany Transfer Visa with proof of acceptable financial savings that will enable you to support yourself. The UK government has put this amount down as £945 in your bank account for a minimum period of 90 days before you apply for the visa. This requirement can also be fulfilled if the company/organization hiring you with the letter of employment is able to certify that it can pay you the required amount to cover your costs for a month.

It is mandatory that you need to be paid at least the minimum salary for your type of visa or the appropriate rate for the job you’re offered – whichever is higher. The minimum salary is £41,500 for Long-term Staff and £23,000 for an Apprentice with a Graduate Degree. Any conditions where the salary could be different might fall under one of the following categories:

  • if you are applying to extend your Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa
  • when your employment is scheduled for a timeframe of less than a year
  • in the eventuality of a per-hour payment frame


When Changing To an Intracompany Transfer Visa 

You can change your visa and apply for a Long-term Staff Tier 2 Intracompany Transfer Visa if you already are in the UK on a valid Representative of an Overseas Business visa. However, you cannot make this switch to an Apprentice with a Graduate Degree. Any change in visas is mandatory before the expiry of your existing visa.

The visa application requires you to be in the UK at the time of your application for a change of visa and also that you are still currently working for the same employer mentioned in your previous visa application.


Length of Stay

An application for a change of visa could give you permission to stay through the timeframe mentioned on your letter of employment with an additional 14 days or the period of time that will be required for the new visa to be extended in the new category. Additionally, you will have the permission to stay for a period of 5 years or 9 years if your job category offers you a remuneration of more than £120,000 a year.  


Fee Structure

Refer to the fees structure section

Applications for a change to this visa can be made online both in the case of as an individual or as a family group. As is mandatory, the biometric information and all supporting documents must be appended to the application.

Biometric reports can be obtained from a service point that conducts appointments for the UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS). Travel outside the country is not permitted until the visa has been issued.


The visa application for a change to the Intracompany Transfer Visa generally follows the timeline of 8 weeks under the standard service. The priority service application (with the additional fees) takes 5 working days from the date of your UKVCAS appointment. 

The super priority service is available at a premium cost and gives a turnaround time of 2 working days after your UKVCAS appointment. 

Dependents and Family Members

The Intracompany Transfer visa has a provision for your family members and any dependents to travel with you to the UK. If your family members (husband or wife, a child under 18 years of age or a child over 18 years but currently in the UK as a dependent) are from any country outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland, they will additionally need to have visas to be in the UK.

It is mandatory that you adequately prove that you are able to care for and support anyone coming into the UK as a dependent.  A minimum amount of £630 must be available to each of the dependents coming in on your visa or on an independent visa, to add to the £945 you must be able to produce as the amount that is required to support yourself. The evidence of all these financial details must be produced in your own bank account or the account of your family members at least 90 days before the visa application is made. For example, you must have £2,205 in your bank account if you want to bring your partner and one child with you to the UK (£945 to support yourself + £630 for your partner + £630 for your child).

If your dependents are applying from outside the UK, all visa applications must be made online. An appointment at the UK visa application center will produce the biometric reports that need to be appended to the visa application. Children above 18 will not be able to apply if they are not in the UK. They can apply from inside the UK if they are already here as your dependent.

Your dependents can apply to extend or change their visas to stay with you if they’re already in the UK. Your family members cannot apply in the UK as your dependent if they hold a visitor visa.

Children Born While You Are In the UK

You must apply for a permit that allows any children born to you while you’re in the UK to stay in the country.  Travel in and out of the country will be possible only if this permission has been granted by the government of UK. A full UK birth certificate is mandatory for the visa application. Applications can be made online.