Investment Immigration Visa
In 2012, most Australian business and investment visas were replaced by the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) subclass 188 visa. Split into 4 streams, the point-based visas can lead to legal permanent residence in Australia after living for 12 months in the country.
Each stream caters to a different category of businessperson or investor. Applicants must submit an Expression of Interest through the Skillselect system before being invited to apply and must score at least 65 points on the points test to be eligible.
Also, an applicant must have never been involved in any unacceptable business or investment activity.
All visas require an individual to hold a valid passport. Applicants can include family members when lodging the visa application. The government issued guideline suggests applying for a visa 1-3 years prior to visiting Australia. All visa conditions and laws should be complied with.
General Eligibility Criteria for All Applicants:
- Be invited to apply from an Australian state or territory government
- Be able to score 65 points or more
- Must be a certain age
- Own and manage a business in Australia
- Meet the asset and employees requirement
- For any losses, agree not to bring any legal action against Australia
- Must meet the residence requirement
- Must meet the English language requirement
- Must meet the health requirement
- Must meet the character requirement
- Pay your debt, if any to the Australian Government
- Have adequate health insurance
- Obey all conditions attached to your visa
General Activities Permitted While On An Investment Visa:
- Stay in Australia
- Work and study
- Sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- Enroll in Australia’s public health care scheme
- Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- If eligible, become an Australian citizen
Australian Investment Visa Subclass
The Australian investment visa system currently has 4 subclasses.
Subclass 188- Business Innovation Stream
The Business Innovation stream is for businesspeople who want to undertake an entrepreneurial activity by establishing a business or conducting business and investment activity in Australia.
A provisional visa, you can stay in Australia for up to 4 years and 3 months and must meet workplace laws when operating your business in Australia.
Subclass 188- Significant Investor Stream
This visa is for business investors who want to invest at least AUD$5 million in Australia and continue business/investment activity after the period of their provisional visa.
Subclass 188- Investor Steam
This visa is for business investors who want to invest at least AUD$1.5 million in Australia and continue business/investment activity for at least 2 years.
To qualify for this visa, applicants must be 55 years of age or younger. If the proposed investment benefits the state or territory’s economy greatly, the age requirement can be waived at their discretion.
Subclass 188- Premium Investor Stream
This visa is for business investors who want to invest at least AUD$15 million into an Australian ‘complying premium institution’ and continue business/investment activity after the period of their provisional visa.