Work Visa Canada

Work Visa Canada

If you are from a foreign county, a work visa for Canada grants you permission to take a job within the country. In addition to obtaining a work visa, in Canada, you’re required to obtain a job offer or a work permit for Canada as well.

There are several types of work permits and the duration of each permit varies, so it’s important that you understand this differences as well as the eligibility requirements and how to apply for a work visa in Canada

Eligibility for Canada Work Permit Visa

In order to be eligible, for a work visa in Canada you must:

  • be in good health and, if needed, undergo a medical exam.
  • not plan to work for any employer classified as “ineligible.”
  • provide documentation proving that you have enough money to be self-sufficient during your stay in Canada.
  • prove that when your work permit expires that you will leave the country.
  • not plan to work for an employer who that offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages on a regular basis.
  • not have a criminal record (you may be asked to provide a police clearance certificate).
  • must agree to obey all laws and not be a danger to Canada’s security.
  • provide any other documents you are asked to provide.
Global Skills Strategy applicants: You can only benefit from two-week application processing if you apply from outside of Canada.

Different Types of Work Permits for Canada

The first step in immigrating to Canada is generally applying for a work permit. While there are two types of work permits Canada has to offer (the Open Work Permit (OWP) and the Employer Specific Work Permit), in order to help talented immigrants move to the country for work, they have over 70 immigration options based on your occupation and reason for entering the country.

There are also two subcategories for OWP, Unrestricted and Restricted Permits. Unrestricted Permits allow you to work in any occupation and location and Restricted Permit only allows you to work in a specific job.

OWP Visa Programs

There are several Canadian visa programs that use Open Work Permits:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Young Professionals Visa
  • International Co-Op Program
  • Provincial Nominee Program
  • Working Holiday Visa
  • International Experience Canada
  • Canadian Experience Class

The Duration of Canadian Work Permits

Work permits for Canada are usually valid for six months. However, there are certain situations where a Canadian visa officer may change the validity period.

How to Apply for a Work Permit for Canada (Work Visa Canada)

As long as you have the required documentation, applying for a Canadian work permit can be done completely online. As long as you meet the eligibility requirements, authorities will check your application to ensure that you provided all the necessary documents and if it’s incomplete, they’ll return your application without processing it. You may also be asked to provide more information or required to attend an interview with Canadian officials in your country.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Canadian work visa known as the Federal Skilled Worker plan is for skilled workers who want to immigrate to Canada permanently. In order to be eligible for a work visa in Canada, you must meet all the minimum requirements, which includes your skilled work experience, education and language proficiency. Once an applicant meets all the minimum requirements, then his/her application is based on the following factors:

  • Age
  • Education
  • Work Experience
  • Valid job offers from a business in Canada
  • English/French language skills
  • Likeliness of settling in Canada

All the above factors are a part of a 100-point grid which is used to assess eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Points are given on how well you perform on each of the above six factors. The current cut off rate is 67 points.

If your score is 67 points or higher, then you may qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

You don’t qualify if you score lower than 67 points. You can get a higher score by improving your language skills, completing another degree, diploma or certificate or by receiving an offer of employment in Canada.


This carries a maximum of 10 points. You and your spouse who will immigrate with you to Canada can earn points for being adaptable.
Your partner’s language level:

Your spouse’s language level in either English or French at CLB4 or higher levels in all 4 language abilities. Their test results from an approved agency must be submitted when you apply. The results of these tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. 5 points are added if this applies to you.

This is how the six factors are assessed: 

Age Points:

This has a maximum of 12 points. If you are between the ages of 18 and 35, then you will get the entire 12 points. The points decrease as age increases. If you are 47 and older, you will get 0 points.  Please find the points based on the age, below:


Under 180
47 and older0


This carries a maximum of 25 points.

If you went to school in Canada, then you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian institution. If you did not go to school in Canada, then you must have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from a designated organization like WES, ICAS, CES, etc, to show that your education is equal to a completed certificate, degree or diploma from a Canadian institute.

Work Experience:

You get points for the number of years you’ve spent doing full-time paid work (at least 30 hours per week) or an equal amount of part-time (15 hours per week for 24 months) at skill type 0, A or B as per National Occupational Classification (NOC).

Please use the chart below to find the points you will get based on the number of years of experience.

ExperienceMaximum 15 points
1 year9
2-3 years11
4-5 years13
6 or more years15

Valid Job Offers from a Business in Canada:

You can get a maximum of 10 points if you have arranged employment in Canada. You will be eligible for points if the duration of your job offer is a minimum of 1 year from a Canadian employer. This job offer should be with you before you apply for a Canadian visa as a Federal Skilled Worker to be considered for the points.

A valid job offer should have the following:

  • Paid full-time work of at least 30 hours per week
  • Non-seasonal work
  • Employment agreement of at least 1 year

Language Skills:

English and French are Canada’s official languages and you are expected to be able to communicate in either one of these languages to be employable in the Canada. You can get up to 28 points for your language skills which are tested based on your ability to read, write, speak and listen in the language of your choice.

As proof of your language skills, you need to take the following tests:

  • Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) for English
  • Niveaux de Compétence Linguistique Canadiens (NCLC) for French

In all the 4 language areas (read, write, speak and listen), you need to get at least a CLB of 7 or an NCLC of 7. If you want to get points for the second official language as well, you need to get a 5 for CLB or NCLC in all 4 language areas.

For your first official language, you stand to score a maximum of 24 points. They are tabulated in the following ways:

First official languageSpeakingListeningReadingWriting
CLB level 9 or higher6666
CLB level 85555
CLB level 74444
Below CLB level 7Not eligible to applyNot eligible to applyNot eligible to applyNot eligible to apply


For the second official language, you can score a maximum of 4 points if you score at least CLB 5 in each of the 4 language abilities.


Second official languagePoints
At least CLB 5 in all of the 4 abilities4
CLB 4 or less in any of the 4 abilities0

Past Studies in Canada:

If you completed at least 2 years of full-time study at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada, you will get 5 points added to your total.

Please note that full-time study means at least 15 hours of classes per week.

Your Spouse Studied In Canada:

If your spouse completed at least 2 years of full-time study at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada, you will get 5 points added to your total.

Please note that full-time study means at least 15 hours of classes per week.

Past Work Experience in Canada:

You will get 10 points if you did at least 1 year of full-time work in Canada in a job listed in skill type 0 or A or B of the National Occupation Classification (NOC) with a valid work permit in place.

Spouse’s Past Work Experience in Canada:

If your spouse had at least 1 year of full-time employment in Canada with a valid work permit or while authorized to work in Canada. You will get 5 points for this.

Arranged Employment in Canada:

When you have a job offer from a Canadian employer in a NOC 0, A or B job for a minimum period of 1 year or more. You will get 5 points for this.

Relatives in Canada:

If you or your spouse have a relative who is living in Canada, at least 18 years or older and is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. The relative can be either of the following:

  • parent
  • grandparent
  • child
  • grandchild
  • your or your spouse’s sibling (child of your or your spouse’s parent)
  • your or your spouse’s aunt or uncle (by blood or marriage)
  • your or your spouse’s niece or nephew (grandchild of your or your spouse’s parent)

You can get 5 points if you pass the requirements.

You don’t have to fulfil all of these 7 criteria for adaptability. Only 10 points in total can be taken from here.